Monday, November 14, 2011

F*$% This!

Oberlin alumni released a website about 3 weeks ago promoting “why the fuck I should chose Oberlin?” It has had some many visitors since it went live with nearly 2,500 reasons from students and alumni.

Here are just a few examples:
“Because our bathroom fucking graffiti is intellectual and creative as shit.”

“Because we have the best fucking safer sex education out there, and that means we can have awesome fucking sex.”

“Because when America didn’t think black people and women were people, Oberlin thought they should probably fucking go to college.”

“Because they’re not afraid of words like ‘fuck.’ ”

So you guessed it, all the reasons include the f-word.

Interesting marketing for a college and it seems to be working. It reminds me of the people who use the word sexy in terrible fashion as well.

On the other hand, they are putting the institution out there and everything else to highlight what Oberlin is about and who should attend. It seems that everything at Oberlin in f-ing amazing! From using a co-op baking sheet to f-ing slide down the hill to the f-ing art.

So why would anyone want to be associated with a so f-ing happy college? Or better yet, a college that prides its students, staff, faculty, alumni on using the f-word? Well, probably to not attract stuffy people like myself who frown on the dumbing down of education to levels where people have to use the f-word to get their point across in an order to prove some witty new marketing scheme.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my!!! This is definitely a "new" marketing technique for a college. I have to say that if I were on faculty or on staff, I would not be too excited for this marketing campaign! Also, as a parent of near college aged children, I can not even imagine allowing them to apply. I am still provide part of their college fund and I would have to vote "no" for this.

    I do admit that in many instances a marketing campaign such as this will attract some attention - some positive and some negative. But using the f-word when advertising a place of higher education seems to be the wrong technique. I can certainly see wanting to portray of a easy going attitude if that is the types of students they are trying to obtain. I am appalled at the references to awesome f-ing sex. WOW!

    I also admit that I am conservative and on the stuffy side but I have teenage kids - I am not a complete "fuddy-duddy" but this is a little over the edge for my liking!!

    Fun post - Katee but let's hope there are not more college's to follow this marketing strategy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They say in Hollywood - "negative buzz is still buzz" - Higher Education is NOT Hollywood...

    While I do not always have the cleanest mouth, I do understand that while some conducts are passable - and even appropriate - in some contexts...there are certain contexts in which certain kinds of conduct are completely inappropriate if not outright wrong.

    Socialization which occurs in college. Whether it is considered the primary or latent function, it is a valuable part of the college experience - and for some it is the only opportunity they've had to re-shape their identity around more socially acceptable conduct. I think this campaign is completely antithame to this very important process. This sets a precedent for reinforcing the notion that, regardless of our behaviors, society should come to us. It's abyssmal. This is like advertising your institution based on "the great binge drinking at AnyU!" It establishes a culture which embraces anti-social behavior - so much for the age old turn of phrase, "A gentleman and a scholar."

    How is higher ed supposed to serve the function of a social good if we advocate and cultivate anti-social behavior in our student population?

    I am reminded of Victor Frankl, quoting Gerting, "If we see man as he is - we make him worse! But if we see man as he could be we promote him...we make him capable of being what he can be."

    David Dorr

    ReplyDelete
  3. Especially in this day and age, when electronic postings last forever and tend to come back to bite people at the most awkward times, it seems somewhat ridiculous to me that a college would encourage such "laid back" marketing.

    College is supposed to be about growing up. Maybe it is time for the Oberlin marketing crew to follow that advice.

    ReplyDelete