Sunday, October 9, 2011

A JOB Well Done: A Legacy to Higher Education



The influence of technology can be felt by nearly all institutions across the country. When thinking about the pioneers who have contributed to the growing relationship between technology and higher education one name rises above the rest, Steve Jobs. Jobs, who died Wednesday, has been credited for introducing devices such as the iPad, iPhone, and iPod to the university setting.


Marc Prensky, in the Chronicle of Higher Education, captures the impact that Jobs has had on higher education. Prensky asks readers to consider if higher education is better because students have music in their ears, rather than in their dorm rooms? Is higher education better because papers are printed out and not hand or typewritten? Is higher education better because students carry tablets with access to libraries and periodicals? Although one may argue that advances in technology carry its fair share of advantages and challenges, it's hard to deny that the way in which students learn has changed forever.


With the creations of the iPad and iPhone Mr. Jobs taught students that technology can be fun, simple, and extremely helpful. Prior to these inventions many individuals, especially those that consider themselves to be technologically challenged, wouldn't dare experiment in the world of technology in fear of causing irreparable damage their papers and computers alike. Currently, it is common to find students and faculty browsing the web for the latest apps that will enhance their education experience. In his article, Prensky states that we have only seen the beginning of Jobs' influence on the college campus. Soon we can expect to see a paperless, bookless campus and an increase in on-line lectures and podcasts. One quick visit to iTunes U and one can have a firsthand glance at these changes taking place.


Not only is Jobs known for his brilliance in the field of technology, he is also known for his dedication to the field of education and desire to help students. Although his products weren't known for being cheap, he was devoted to offering them to students at a discounted rate. As Prensky indicates, Jobs was a master strategist and a strong leader. He proved to students that one person can make a difference on a large scale. He made technology "cool and not geeky" and promoted the idea of teamwork to achieve a common goal.


It never occurred to me just how much my world revolves around technology until the death of Steve Jobs sparked a conversation between a co-worker and I. She asked me "How [my] life would be different without my iPad or iPod?" As I began thinking about her question I realized that my iPod serves as my alarm clock which is set to play my favorite playlist to awaken me. Shortly after waking up I grab my iPad off my nightstand and check the weather, news, and my fantasy football status. I proceed to check my e-mail and calendar in order to validate that I am in sync with my personal, professional, and student responsibilities. Needless to say, both my iPod and iPad occupy my day well before I make it to work or class, which was my original motivation for purchasing both. When I interrupted my thoughts and found myself standing in front of my co-worker, the only answer that came to mind was, "I couldn't begin to imagine!"


Previously I have taken my own gadgets for granted and I fail to pause and realize that my education experience may have been drastically different without individuals like Steve Jobs. This article served as a reminder of how lucky I am to have reached the climax of my pursuit of education while benefiting from all the advances in technology. Prior to Jobs death, I never took the time to appreciate or think about how he helped shape my education. I am excited to see how technology will enhance opportunities for both current and future students.

5 comments:

  1. I too forget how reliant I am on my technology gadgets, especially my iPhone. It has saved me on numerous occasions from getting lost and keeping me up to date with my email and assignments. In addition to what Steve Job has created his life is also an inspiration to students and everyone for that matter. Following his passion and believing in himself is something we can all learn from. It took hard work but he was able to achieve his dreams and I'm sure even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Aaron for sharing your thoughts on Steve Jobs and technology in higher education.

    There is no doubt that Jobs’ creativity has transformed the way in which many people interact and view the world in various arenas ( industry, education, entertainment, etc..).

    I do also depend very much on technology on a daily basis for personal and professional reasons. I am grateful to be able to benefit from all the advances of technology. However, we must be reminded that there are many people in the US and throughout the world who are not as lucky as we are.

    Therefore, if we are to advocate for inclusion, equity and promote social justice for all, we should address issues of inequity of access to new forms of technology and democratize these processes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oo...I am cranky, I just spent 20 minutes blogging a comment about this post and my PC caused me to lose what I had typed. That's what happens when I use my work computer on my lunch break instead of my Steve-Jobs-invented MacBook Pro which I left at home.

    What I had written (in a very profound, articulate way, I might add) was how surpised I was that Steve Jobs' death felt like a personal loss. I don't recall ever spending much time thinking about him at all. I am certainly not like those people on youtube who are sobbing through their grief, but his death made me ponder how his work influenced my life.

    Through my years in undergrad and grad school, I worked on major projects and papers with the earlier models of Mac. The devices I have now still shock me with their capabilities and features.

    I know many people are pondering the same things, how their lives are affected by his creations...and I hope that Steve Jobs knew what his influence was while he was still alive.

    If I had done my original comment on a MAC, there is no way my comment would have been lost. When he sets up at the big IT helpdesk in the sky, I hope Steve Jobs can put an end to my PC troubles forever.

    ReplyDelete