Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Social Media's Slow Slog into the Ivory Towers of Academia

Social Media's Slow Slog Into the Ivory Towers of Academia

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/09/social-medias-slow-slog-into-the-ivory-towers-of-academia/244483/

To be a “digital native” or a “digital immigrant” are terms that are being thrown around for those students who were born at the beginning of the technology boom opposed to those born before it. For those born in 1992 and after are known as your natives and immigrants are the ones prior to that that are learning how to use modern day technology and its ever changing upgrades. The interesting part comes in to how hgier education used technology and adjusts their curriculum to meets the needs of today’s society and learning practices.

This article has an interesting take on how and why higher education uses digital media within its classes and discusses if it is using it effectively. It is one thing to say that you are using it and another to say that you are using it effectively, meaning using it with the correct pedagogy to help students get something out of the class and expand their understanding of social media.

The argument that this article is using is that there are professors who are saying they are teaching a social media class, or a technology class, but they are not using the resources at all. "It's like studying to be a doctor and never touching a body, and then going into practice. You gotta get your hands on it, know how it works. You can only theorize about how these communities work if you're not willing to actually go in and see how they function.” (Smith-Robbins)

Another interesting part of this article discusses the myth that arises with social media in that NOT all digital natives know modern technology and it would be a false assumption for every student to be able to know the fundamentals of modern technology and social media. Further, the argument is also raised that teachers today should not be so hesitant in actually learning from their students, especially in this arena. I think this is so true.

Being around students on an everyday basis, I see how quickly they are at getting on line and engaging in technology as a form of learning. However, it is one thing to just let them use their computers and social media as a form of “learning” and then to actually have a theoretical practice behind it. To have a lesson and an exact measure for what students are supposed to be doing would help narrow the gap within the “digital natives”, but if the professors were able to put their ego aside (if that is the case, not sure if it is) and allow for students to show them how social media can really be of a great assistance in the classroom. I think of the scene of Transformers 2 where Sam is in the college classroom in the beginning of the movie and he “shows up” the professor about what he is lecturing on, and the professor responds by saying, “I will not be punked by a student in front of the dean.” I just thought that was fitting.

2 comments:

  1. Your post raises a number of things for me. The place of social media in higher education is a really interesting question and one that, while I'm uncomfortable with it, I think we have to address. I suppose according to this article I would be considered a digital immigrant - an I'll be honest I have not acclimated well. So, while I think I "get it" I'm also like the doctor who read about the human body but never touched it.

    I'm serving on a hiring committee for a position at our institution where one of the main jobs will be to grow and expand our social media presence. The candidates seem to talk about social media as if it were old news in some ways - as though they are waiting for the next great technology to come along. I haven't even caught up to this technology. And, yet, I know that when I need to get students attention I simply have our facebook administrator put up a post.

    You make an interesting reference to the immigrant and native in this post - and while I agree that our "digital natives" have much to teach us our "digital immigrants" do as well. So, I think I realize that the technology is here to stay and that there is much to be gained in terms of learning I also think there is a lot to be learned from those of who aren't so tech savy. As in many debates we often preference one particular way as the "right" way and I'd like us to consider the value in each of the approaches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree that universities need to ensure that they are properly utilizing social media outlets. And, it is very important for the instructors to ensure that they themselves utilzie social media that they are lecturing about. Additionally, it is acceptable for teachers to learn from their students.

    I think the main issue arises when we think of using social media simply for the sake of using social media. The point was raised by the author that we do indeed need to make sure something is being gained. As with many aspects of higher education, it would be productive to develop learning outcomes associated with the utilization of social media, and find an effective way to measure this learning process.

    ReplyDelete