Saturday, October 15, 2011

Multi-Tasking Technology and the "Need" for Physical Campus Libraries

Think back to your undergraduate years in higher education. How did you research, write, and submit a paper or project to your professors? How did you study for exams? Where did you do so?

I received my Bachelor's degree is May of 2005. That doesn't seem like that long ago to me. Yet, it technology-times, it is another galaxy! I remember how the procedure of research went very clearly. I would sit with a paper and pencil, draw out an outline or idea, then head to the library. I would wait my turn to sit down in front of a library portal computer. These computers didn't have internet explorer or firefox browsers for seemingly infinite search results. They were used to simply search for materials in the physical library. I'd type in keywords, and find journals or books that contained information of interest. Next, I'd write down the series of letters and numbers associated with the work's location, and I would go on my quest. Once locating the physical journal or book, I had two choices. (1) Sit down at a table, take notes and write out citations; or (2) Head to the copy room--loaded with a pouch of dimes. Ten cents a page, and I would copy journal articles one page at a time. The typing was done at my home computer--a large (aka not flatscreen) monitor with tower. The information was saved an a hard 3-4 inch diskette, and printed from this disk back at the library, before turning in this hard copy to a professor. When it came to exams, everything was in "hard copy" form. Hand-written notes, textbooks, and handouts.

Looking back, a lot has changed. That "old way" seems like a lot of work! So, now that I have the ability to write a research paper from my living room or study without a mass of paper in front of me, does that make me lazy, distracted, or ungrateful for my resources on campus?



I came across a recent blog posted in Inside Higher Education titled, "Booting Down." The argument was unpacking whether or not students using a variety of technological devices within their study rituals was distracting, lazy, or ineffective. The author describes a study of 560 students interviewed from a variety of institutions (4-year universities, community colleges, etc.). These students were studying for final exams in their local libraries, and were using technology as a study tool.

The study’s key findings included:

  • 85 percent only had 1 or 2 information technology (IT) devices running when interviewed
  • 61 percent only had 1 or 2 websites open and in use, most of which were being used for course work
  • 81 percent checked for new messages such as email messages or Facebook
  • 65 percent said they used social media sites, like Facebook and Twitter, to coordinate study sessions or group work.
The author of the cited article within the blog was determined to set the record straight, in reaction to the negative stereotypes associated with this "dumb generation" full of "multi-tasking slackers," and their inappropriate use of technology. It may be an inaccurate assumption of university faculty and staff that students clicking around on a laptop or browsing on a smart phone or using these methods to simply choke out their boredom or fuel their entertainment quick fix. A majority of students interviewed in the study used technology to advance their learning, not to distract themselves from it.

The researcher is quoted saying, “The technologies are so ubiquitous and they are also interruptive and disruptive and convenient … so they have to be managed, and students are doing this in a creative way.”

Whether uploading a YouTube video explaining a difficult concept from class, or using cites such as Google Scholar to locate full-text articles not contained within the walls of their local library, students are using technology to advance the scope of their education.

These ideas got me thinking...these students were interviewed in campus libraries...but did they really need to be there?



This brought me to a place of examining the "need" for campus libraries. In an article titled: "Re-Positioning Libraries: A Consideration of Obstacles," (UNC library database--ProQuest) the author quotes, "Information technology is the friend of libraries! Information technology is the enemy of libraries!" These contradictory statements are supported by noting that technology has immensely increased accessibility to valuable educational materials, yet issues such as copyright "commercialization," and drastic declines in gate counts, circulation, and reference transactions show trends that are beginning to alert stakeholders. Library advocates fear that administrative and government support (including funding) may also decline with the perceived notion that "libraries are a thing of the past and withering."

This article brought new light to my eyes. In the past six years, throughout my MS degree and year and a half in my doctoral program, how often have I "needed" the physical library on campus? Without a doubt, I "need" the online database of scholarly journals and books...but what about the hard copies and physical space a library holds? I've met group members at libraries, used computers to email or print articles, and climbed the stairs to sit in silence to study materials I already had with me. Yet, my actual need to use physical materials within those walls has been very scarce (not entirely non-existent). What does this say about the future of our libraries in higher education?

I'm confident many students, faculty, and staff alike would hate the idea of seeing libraries across campuses disappear. I know I would. I believe this topic brings up unique considerations for technology in higher education. Are we starting to "out-smart" our own cornerstone resources?

Kylie

6 comments:

  1. Nice post Kylie! You bring up some interesting points! I held one-on-one meetings with my first year students this past Friday and most of them endded in the library. I was amazed at how many students informed me that this was their first time they stepped foot in the library. On the other end, students were alarmed when I informed them that the library staff is committed to helping them with papers, research, and navigating the on-line data base.

    I have been on the UNC campus for seven years and I am just now learning all the opportunities and resources the library has to offer (like renting movies, wow!). When I go to the library I usually climb up to the third floor and take advantage of the quiet environment, not the thousands of other resources available. I could definitely use the on-line data base to find what I need, and do so while sitting at home on my couch. Although I believe the library is the backbone of the campus, I must sadly admit that my experience in education wouldn't be drastically different without it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a member of this generation who has never had to step foot in college library to get research, I did still use it for studying during undergrad. Partially for the quiet space, away from all my responsibilities as an RA, and partially because they had a great coffee shop that was relatively unknown, meaning short lines.

    However as technology advances, I find little reason to step foot in the library. During my graduate studies the majority of my excursions to the UNC library has been to rent movies or check out books for personal readings.

    Today if I were asked to find articles about a research topic, I could do it within minutes on line; but if I was asked to go to the library and do it, I would have no idea where to begin. After reading this, I am very curious how and where research articles are stored in the university.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had several jobs while in college, but one of my favorites was in the library. Not only was it the best way to overcome the fear a freshmen had of the library, but it was so interesting. My job was not actually for the university, it was actually for a private company that rented space in the library and had access to all the materials within the library. My job was to look up articles that had been ordered through some database that I never actually saw by students (whom I assumed to be crazy graduate students) across the county that I would never meet. When the order for the article came in, I would go get the article out of periodicals and scan each page of the article into the computer, hit a button and move onto my next order. I had no idea as this time (circa 1998) that 1) I would be one those crazy graduate students requesting weird articles or 2) that everyone in the world would soon be able to access all this information on their own very soon. Funny, I had not thought about this job in quite a while. This seems like such an archaic way to gather research, but it really was only 13 years ago. Thankfully, we do not need to rely on a 20 year old with no appreciation for the topic we are studying to do a good job locating and scanning our articles. I wonder where we will be 13 years from now and how we will be accessing our journal publications.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I attended college for my undergraduate degree, the library was a busy place. It was a place for quiet study, a great meeting place for group projects but mainly, it was used for research. For my accounting research course, all of my research materials were found at the library. I spent an enormous amount of time during the semester that I took that particular research class. Obviously, times have changed. I have yet to visit the library for anything related to my graduate level work. I also agree that federal funding and university funding for library books and periodicals will continue to diminish over time. Whether we like it or not, the traditional library may become a thing of the past.

    I do believe that the Library could go through a reconfiguration. Maybe there could be areas that house computers and printers to research periodicals. Another area could be used to search "research based materials" and so on. At least then there could still be the valued assistance of library workers that have knowledge in those areas. But, I truly believe the function of the library to house quiet study areas is a must and I hope that students continue to utilize that scenario.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the attention this article has given to the museums colleges have called libraries. It would be very interesting to see what is to happen to various floors of the library. I know that many students who graduate today have no reason to step foot in the library, outside of meeting on the 3rd floor because that is where everyone was where it was "quiet", but you could always find someone that has the same class or test that you have. Nowadays, I don't see that happening. I remember going to the library when I had to write my historical thesis paper for my major. I went to the library and checked out every book I could on Alexander Dubchek and his Prague Spring and brought more than 20 of them back to my house and had them scattered all over my floor and desk while i wrote this paper. Now for my writing class, I have 20 different web pages open on one of my computers while I type on another and I can keep everything stored and organized. It is so much easier...and quicker...to find the information. It would be very interesting to see where libraries will go in the future. Great post and comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Personally, I love going to the library. When I go there I get this crazy sense of motivation. Being surrounded by thousands of books and tons of secret nooks to get lost in, energizes me. I completed my Master's degree at UNC as well and was frequesntly in the library but I probably only used the library books a handful of times (looking for the original works of master therapists). While I do not think many take full advantage of library rescources, it's nice to have them there for when scholarly online articles are not enough. I have a difficult time imagining our libraries disappearing but that idea makes sense when you think of the space/resources being wasted.

    ReplyDelete